- Cancellation Policy for Workshops and Trainings: Cancellations made up to 14 days prior to the first class meeting will be refunded. The Boulder Art Therapy Collective will retain a $25 processing fee for EACH workshop cancelled by a participant. After 14 days, there is no refund or credit. In addition, the fee for a class cancelled within this 14-day timeframe by a participant cannot be transferred to pay for another class. These policies are to ensure that instructors are compensated for their investment in materials and in time spent preparing for the class. We reserve the right to cancel a class if fewer than 3 students enroll 48 hours prior to the scheduled class time. If for any reason the Boulder Art Therapy Collective cancels a class, students will be called at the phone number on file and refunded the FULL class fee.
- Creating a Safe Inspiring Space. The Boulder Art Therapy Collective is committed to creating a safe, cohesive and inspiring environment where all participants are able to create art and express themselves freely, without judgment or evaluation. All artistic abilities are welcomed and honored for the uniqueness that each expression holds. Participants will be encouraged to use kind comments and questions when inquiring about another’s work. As art therapists we are aware of how detrimental critical feedback can be in terms of personal reflection. Therefore, we take special care in sharing our work with others in the group, so that comments instill curiosity and insight instead of shame. All ideas, beliefs and art expressions have room to be shared.
- Right to Refuse. The BATC has the right to refuse participation in groups for participants unwilling to follow the expectations of securing a safe space for all members in the group. Incidences that might cause a person to be asked to leave a group include but are not limited to, indecent or offensive behaviors that cause harm to other members in the group, use of alcohol or drugs while in the group, misuse of the materials or the space, or chronic disruptive behaviors. We will make attempts to warn the member if we see a problem arising before asking them to leave the group.
- While most of our groups are not clinically therapeutic in nature, we do hold the belief that making art in and of itself is a therapeutic process with tremendous healing potential. Because of this, some times personal material surfaces in the art that might feel a little vulnerable for some folks, and even unexpected. We want to take special care to see that these expressions are honored when they emerge and treated with the respect and care they deserve. While confidentiality in these groups will look quite different than in a therapeutic relationship we ask members to be mindful of the vulnerabilities shared, and honor each others need for privacy.
- Do I need to bring my own art supplies to the workshops and trainings?
No, all basic art materials are supplied that are either part of the class or included in the fee. Occasionally we might ask you to bring something of your own but this will be explained prior to the group. If you have special materials of your own that you would like to bring, that of course if fine with us.
- Do I need to be skilled in art to attend one of the groups or workshops?
Absolutely not! We welcome any skill level and will work with our participants at their level of creativity and comfort level. We are much more interested in creating an environment that ignites creativity, and a sense of joyfulness in engaging in the art process, rather than creating great artists. So come with what you have, we will meet you there.
- Are you handicapped assessable?
Yes, we are and look forward to making space for those with special needs to make art! If you have special needs please call us prior to your participation so we can best accommodate your needs.
- Can I bring my kids with me to Open Studios or Workshops?
We love kids at the BATC, and have included in our schedule sessions just for kids, and some for parents and children together. If you have a need to bring your child to a group for some reason we just ask that you let us know ahead of time, so we might find a way to accommodate your child’s needs as well as yours. If it is an all-adult group, we may request you ask the other group members.
- If I can only attend part of a group can I get a discount price?
Unfortunately, we have to charge the same amount no matter how long you are in the group. Coming late or leaving early can also create disruption for the other group members so we encourage being there on time and staying until the group ends if at all possible.
- Can I bring food?
Yes, you can bring a snack to the studio and eat while you work, but do know we do not have much space for storing food, so best if you can pack it so it stays fresh. We do have filtered water and tea for you to have while in the studio, and sometimes special treats.
- How can I pay for groups?
We accept credit cards, cash or checks. Please make your check out to the Boulder Art Therapy Collective.
- What if I decide I need more private, individual therapy sessions?
We have 5 competent art therapists on staff that can help you decide if individual sessions are for you. We will help you pick the best therapist for your needs, either at the BATC or as a referral outside. We have therapists that work with a wide range of populations and we offer a sliding scale fee for those in need.
- Where do I park?
There is ample free parking most the time at the BATC, either in front of our building on Lee Hill Drive, or on 14th Street.
10. What if I want to rent the space to do a workshop or training?
We are very excited and eager to collaborate with those in the community who are interested in doing a workshop or training that fits within our model of offerings. We do ask that our renters have some art component to their workshop or training that they can do themselves or have co-facilitation with one of our art therapists. If this is something you are interested in please contact us via email or phone and we will give you the details about renting the space from us.
11. If you have more questions not answered here please let us know and we will do our best to answer them. Many of the questions we heard from our participants first.